Can I Bring a Personal Injury Claim For a Hit-and-Run Accident?

October 1, 2021


Brent Eames

Hit-and-run accidents are on the rise during recent years, and according to AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a hit-and-run happens in the U.S. every 43 seconds. Unfortunately, in Illinois many people become victims of hit-and-run drivers annually. Just this past Friday, a 65 year-old woman was killed as a result of being struck by a hit-and-run driver while attempting to cross Milwaukee Avenue.  Although hit-and-run accidents claim the lives of dozens of people each year, most of the hit-and-run encounters do not result in fatalities, but can nevertheless cause thousands of dollars in medical expenses and property damages. Being involved in a car accident is bad enough, but what happens if the at-fault motorist drives away? Can you bring a claim for personal injuries sustained in a hit-and-run accident? The answer is usually yes. Keep reading to learn what top Car Accident Attorney in Chicago, Brent Eames, says you should do if you are injured as a result of a hit-and-run driver.

Contact The Police

The problem with hit-and-run claims is that the story will always be one-sided. It might be problematic if your insurance company does not believe your story, and you have no evidence of what happened aside from your explanation of how the accident took place. So, the first thing you should do after being struck by a hit-and-run motorist is call the police as soon as possible! It is best to have the police handle the situation when they come, so they can further investigate the incident. The police will prepare a report of their investigation which should memorialize all of the important evidence. This impartial witness will be crucial when it comes time to discuss your claim with the insurance company. If the accident takes place within city limits, contact the local police. However, if the incident takes place in the open highway, contact the state police or county sheriff.

Consider An Uninsured Motorist Claim

Many people are unaware that if they were involved in a hit-and-run accident, and the driver at fault was not apprehended, they can open an uninsured motorist claim with their own insurance carrier.  Under 625 ILCS 5/7-203 every automobile insurance policy ought to provide uninsured motorist coverage of at least $25,000 in bodily injury to one occupant of the vehicle and $50,000 in bodily injuries to 2 or more occupants of the vehicle involved in the car accident. The $25,000/$50,000 limits represent minimum statutory mandated limits of coverage. If you carry higher bodily injury limits, then the uninsured motorist coverage will match those policy limits. Consequentially, if you became a victim of a hit-and-run accident, if you have car insurance of your own, you can seek compensation for any medical expenses, pain and suffering, or other damages under the uninsured motorist coverage provision of your own insurance policy.  This rule applies to motor vehicle operators, and also pedestrians. Furthermore, if the hit-and-run driver is eventually apprehended a civil lawsuit can also be brought against such driver.

Find The Right Attorney

If someone was injured or died in a car accident, it is important to find the right attorney that understands the process.  It’s important to find an attorney that knows the process of filing insurance claims and legal proceedings.

The Eames Law Group  is an experienced law firm that guides people involved in car accidents. They help residents of Illinois gain their lives back after accidents, by managing medical bills and financial setbacks. The Eames Law Group can help people obtain the appropriate compensation and medical assistance from car accidents. Eames Law Group has been recognized as a top car accident attorney in Chicago based upon A+ rankings for professionalism and reputation.

For more information, contact us to meet with the Eames Law Group and learn about the legal services they offer.

Work Injury? We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. No recovery, no fee!
Your #1 Illinois personal injury lawyer. Claim your free consultation.